Academic Plans

SAP Appeals, Reinstatement, ROTC Academic Plans


The above processes require academic plans. 
You should follow the steps below prior to officially submitting the forms.
When you’re ready, click on the icon here to download a draft schedule plan form.
You can use that form to work with your academic advisor before submitting the official form.




1) Obtain the appropriate documentation form. Satisfactory Academic Progress or SAP forms can be found on the Financial Aid website. All other forms should be obtained from the requesting office or agency.

2) Access the Academic Pathway for your major.

3) Access your Degree Audit.

4) Review your Degree Audit and cross off all course requirements on the academic pathway that have been met. Course requirements can be met though transfer, AP, or courses taken at UMBC. Remember only “C” or better grades will count in the major or GEP sections, and you must satisfy the grade requirement for gateway classes for that requirement to be met.

5) All remaining classes (including general education requirements, minors, certificates, and elective credits to reach 120 credits) MUST be accounted for on your academic plan.

6) Follow the academic plan as closely as possible to plan out each semester’s courses with the classes that are remaining in your academic pathway.

  • Pay attention to prerequisites, the semesters in which courses are offered (limited offerings in summer, VERY limited offerings in winter), and total number of credits per semester (should not exceed 19 credits in a regular semester, 16 credits in the summer, and 4 credits in Winter; ROTC courses count towards these totals).
  • Remember to include any prerequisite classes you need in order to meet the UMBC requirement (examples include MATH 150 or SPAN 101/102).

7) Total the credits you have completed and planned to confirm that you have at least 120 total credits and 45 upper level credits.

8) Review your pathway for a second time confirming that all requirements have been met and that you have not exceeded the requirements for any section. For example, there should be no more than three social sciences in your plan + completed courses unless you are a Computer Science major and are using those additional courses as free electives.

9) Once you have completed and double checked your academic plan email a draft copy to your advisor Your advisor may request changes and corrections via email or a meeting.  Please be ready to complete them in a timely fashion or the process will be delayed.  Submit to your advisor again until signed-off.

11) Once you have submitted the official form, your advisor will sign off on the form electronically.


  • You do not need to decide on specific electives at this time. For example:
    • If you need a Social Science course you can simply put on your Pathway 1XX Social Science 3 credits
    • If you need a 400 level elective you can put ECON UL Elective
  • Check the course prerequisites via Class Search or the Undergraduate Catalogue
  • If you are not sure if a course is traditionally offered in a particular semester you can change the semester in the schedule of classes and search for the course. If the course was offered in the Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter previously you can plan for it in the same term in the future.
  • If you are filling out an ROTC academic plan you may need to list both “Hours” and “Credits.” For any student taking ROTC courses through JHU or College Park the ROTC courses count as “Hours” but not as “Credits.” Your Hours should not exceed 19 in a regular semester, but only Credits counts towards the 120 needed for graduation.
  • You may want consider writing the academic plan in pencil or coming in with an electronic version so any changes can be made easily.

* These processes and tips were first compiled and published on the COEIT website.  We thank them and acknowledge them for this excellent resource.